Friday, September 12, 2008

Mishaps and a ray of hope


Dear Blog,

I think all 24 girls have hit their limit. We are approaching the two-week mark and the homesickness, and missing the familiarities has arrived. The schools internet rarely works and if the internet is so kind as to let our laptops download any homepage it then changes its mind and sends us the now familiar page: ERROR downloading page.  We all feel so blessed and lucky for this opportunity and I know that this phase will pass, but for today I think we all need a day of missing the unavailable—home.

An interesting incident happened to me today involving a hair dryer. I found out that my roommate Sharlie has one and I asked her if I could use it to blow dry my bangs. Well it felt so nice to have smooth bangs that I decided to dry the rest of my hair. Unfortunate decision. My hair somehow ended up getting caught in the cheap hairdryer, twisted in the fan, melted because of the heat and after I was interrupted of my excitement of straight hair I felt the pain and quickly panicked. I finally turned it off and found three inches of my hair had been sucked into the evil contraption. Lets just say my hair is uneven with a three-inch gap of missing hair.

There is a man who walks past the bus stop every morning. He is a curious little thing. He wears the same faded yellow linen pants that look worn and a different color sweater. He has a frail frame and big eyes that seem to stare at nothing. He never looks at us when he passes but he does wave his hand a little in my direction. I somehow always feel like he is watching me though. He is a perfect candidate for a character in a novel.

My host mother was in a good mood today! She served us a good meal, we talked, she said she was impressed with how much Italian I had learned in one week and then came into my room when she heard me listening Cavallaria Rusticana on my laptop and sang with the opera singers. She then proceeded to get all her favorite operas and Italian composers and make me put them on my Itunes and as they downloaded she would sing. I was surprised at her happy disposition and thanked whatever made her happy. Maybe it was the fact that she was going to a movie with her friend later that night and was glad to be away from us… but I choose to believe that she is actually starting to like Sharlie and me. Sharlie secretly got a photo of her on my bed singing and leaning over looking at my music so I have proof. That is the picture up in the corner by the way. 

No comments: