Dear Blog,
This weekend me and some other girls went on a semi-spur of the moment 2 day trip.
We had planned to go to Pisa and Lucca this weekend but then complications arose and our communication skills were not so great and we decided against it. Unfortunately due to the lack of communication one girl booked us a room in a Hostel in Lucca. She could not get a refund when she heard were weren’t going and so at ten at night the night before we left we decided to all go anyway. I packed my backpack stuffing it with food, toiletries, and a jacket. I woke up at five thirty in the morning, angry when I saw the rain and waited at the bus stop for my bus in the cold, rainy weather. I met three other girls at the bus stop at six thirty and we all bought our tickets to Pisa. By then it was raining cats and dogs… it was not a great start. When we got to Pisa we had to catch a bus to the field of Miracles where the leaning tower is and the church + baptistery. It was very neat to see it all! The rain made it a bit uncomfortable when my umbrella started leaking through because it was drenched. I thought umbrellas were waterproof!? We then walked about thirty minutes (remember, we are in the pouring rain) to the Train Centrale and caught our train to Lucca. Lucca is an old city that is built inside a massive brick wall that helped give protection to the city during the Renaissance. I was not that enthusiastic about being out in the Rain but as soon as I saw the wall and walked up the stairs I quickly brightened up. The whole wall around the city has trees growing on it and it is like a garden/forest! You then walk down the stairs on the other side and are inside the city. Lucca is by far one of my most favorite cities in the world. Extremely romantic and so picturesque! I would recommend anyone and everyone to go spend a weekend there when in Europe. We walked around trying to sightsee some different cathedrals and such but because of the rain we couldn’t find the energy to do much. Finally the sun decided to grace us with its presence and shine its light. Thank you sun! Lucca came alive and as we walked down the little shopping streets, and bakeries we became overjoyed as we saw a pizza place and finally ate for the first time that day around seven thirty. We enjoyed a nice evening around the city and then found our hostel. It was in the basement and looked like a cave but it was warm and safe. I fell right asleep next to a brick wall, which smelt like mildew and clay but because I was dry and was finally off my feet I did not care at all.
The next morning we got an early start and headed to the weekly Saturday antique market. This market was amazing and we spent four hours browsing the amazing old clothing, furniture, and jewelry. I bought two rings and I cannot wait to show them off. One has three garnets on it and the other is some kind of yellowish cream stone. Both inlaid in silver with ornate designs around each one. We walked by an amazing pastry shop and had to go. The smell was amazing and as I looked over the options I was overjoyed to see warm strudel freshly cooked and just brought out of the oven. I got one of the strudels and a sugar glazed roll that was flavored with lemon. These two pastries were such succulent, mouth-watering pastries sent from heaven. I have never in my life had such delicious tasting pastries. It was definitely a life changing moment for me. Our train back to Pisa was at twelve fifty so we hurried back and said goodbye to our new favorite city in Tuscany. We got back to our bus and arrived safely back in Siena. My contrada team, Istriche (porcupine) won the Palio this July so all the members of the team are celebrating tonight. I walked around the designated area for the carnival/party with my roommate Sharlie. It is quite the celebration! People are all dressed up and the youth even have some strange debutante event. All the girls are wearing white dresses. It looks like it is one big Italian wedding with fifty brides. It is quite cold outside too so I hurried into a pub (I get free internet here) and am writing this. Hope your week went well! Ciao regazzzi!
p.s. sorry if there are any grammar mistakes! I dont have time to proof read! The smoke is getting to me and I wanna get outta the pub! :) Also.. the picture is of Autumn and I in Pisa and the other is after the long day in the rain as I sit on my bed in the cave also known as the Hostel. The others are of the wall surround Lucca, the Antique market and me on top of the wall. Sorry for my utter disgustingness in the pictures. This is what I look like after being in rain for 12 hours. deal with it.
No comments:
Post a Comment