Dear Blog,
This week has been really nice and slow! Italian class was canceled on Monday so we only had Humanities and a tour around the inside of oldest bank in the Europe—possibly the world. It was pretty neat and the view on top of the building was spectacular. You could see all of Siena and the weather was great so we got to see for miles out without fog blocking the view.
Tuesday was another free day and Sharlie and I just spent the day doing Art homework and walking around the town. Wednesday we had class and I went to the market. I bought my first pair of Italian made boots that I love dearly.
Thursday group #2 of the Art class went to Assisi and looked at Saint Francis burial site and church. I really enjoyed Assisi and the peaceful reverence there. There is something very spiritual about that town. The Franciscans monks and nuns are located there with a few other locals. In every church there must be complete silence and if you even whisper the guards point at you and yell SILENZIO which sort of defeats the purpose of being quiet since their voice bounces off the walls and echoes for a minute after their yelling. We had a few assignments to look at different churches and such and then had a few more hours to sit around and enjoy the panorama.
On Friday, Peter our director, had eight of us girls over for Lunch. Leah his wife made a huge Mexican meal that was much appreciated! Although they are vegetarians she made a superb meal and we all were stuffed to the max after. They live 25 minutes outside the city in a town called Celsa. They are living in a dream location. In an old Tuscan home situated on a hill with views of a castle that is owned by a prince and acres and acres of beautiful Tuscan farmland. I was dumbfounded as I gazed over the scenery and wished I could stay there forevermore. We went on a walk after and peter took us to a gorgeous Villa that is owned by the 5th richest man in England. He hosts fashion/vogue parties every year and apparently tons of stars fly in for the occasion. It reminded me of the house in Sabrina, the movie. The whole day was so nice and it sadly put my living quarters to shame. I was a little dissatisfied with my apartment but cannot complain—I am living in Tuscany!!
Saturday Sharlie left for Lucca, and since I have already been, I stayed and spent the morning doing homework and art. I wore my new boots too! I feel a little more Italian in them.
It was just me and Caterina for dinner that night and I was anxious to get it over with. She made her famous pizza which was good because I stuffed my mouth before she could ask me a question. I got through first coarse with just a few words but, of course, she had to ask a question that requires a lengthy and difficult response. Typical. She asked me what my church is, how it is organized and what I do each Sunday at church. I raised my hands and said jokingly, “mama mia! Dificile!” (Translation: Oh my goodness, difficult!) And it was. My words came out with a struggle but somehow I managed to explain to her what I do each Sunday and why. I was felt pretty proud of myself after that.
On Sunday Caterina gave us pastries for dessert, which is a first, and then after I thanked her for dinner and she answered back with a, “niente mi amore”. YES! She does like me! I knew it! I also think she is nicer because I did a sketch of her mother from an old black and white photo I found in my room and purposely left it out so she could see. Haha I try my hardest to please her. J
The weather has been good again! Friday it was 78 degrees and Saturday was 75 and Sunday was 79. Hopefully we are graced with a few more good weeks of sun! Knock on wood!
A couple of us girls went to a park after church to sketch our atmospheric prospective drawings that are due tomorrow. It was fun just sitting in the park sketching and talking. I really love the girls on this study abroad! I feel so lucky to have met them all! Ciao Tutti! Love Caye
1 comment:
Love the new post. I wish I had had such a restful week. I can't wait to hear you speak Italian!! And you can hear me speak French and we'll be so impressed with eachother it will be amazing. Please put up a picture of your boots!
Post a Comment