According to the cambridge dictionary the word Future implies
1. what will happen to someone or something in the time that is to come and
2. the chance of continuing success or existence for something.
Is not it interesting how it says the chance of continuing success? There is no mention in giving up or seeing a dim future. It does not say the chance of continuing failure. Elder Holland gave a BYU devotional called Remember Lot's Wife. The talk so impacted me. I have since then, been internalizing it have been trying to learn to see positive aspects of living for the future.
There are those that live for the past. My thoughts include these: Yes, one can learn from the past but to dwell on the past is the death of us all. There is no proceeding forward if one is holding onto the past. The tug o' war does not stay equally in the middle forever. In the devotional a scripture was read that reiterates what I mean: (Philippians 3:13)
"Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,"
Elder holland counsels us to not be as Lots wife. Do not look back on the past, yearning for what was.
I once read,
The world is full of people whose notion of a satisfactory future is, in fact, a return to the idealised past.
Robertson Davies once said,
Fear not for the future, weep not for the past.
You can never plan the future by the past.
This is true.
I believe we all have this common weakness to look back on what was once grand, and long for it- yet therein lies the danger. Do we try to recreate the past- or do we create a new future. That is the test for all of us. We are all given the chance to be creators, why do we settle to be mere copiers?
We all have the capacity to create and inspire new futures. Think big; there are no boundaries.
The empires of the future are the empires of the mind.
-Sir Winston Churchill
Thus I end my post with new desires:
To live for the future.
To create my future.
(p.s. click on talk title if you want to watch the devotional!)
No comments:
Post a Comment