My grandmother Olea is a woman of diligence, happiness, silly-fun, kind, wise, and very beautiful. She touches my heart in ways no other human being can. I have a place for her settled right around the middle of what is most important to me--to my soul and my very core beliefs. I pray for her and my grandfather nightly. Unfortunately Alzheimer's has taken its hold on most parts of her brilliant mind, but sometimes, just sometimes it loosens its grasp and releases sweet old memories and clear thoughts of ten, fifteen, and thirty minutes past that she would not have otherwise remembered. Today I saw her after six months of being away at school. We spoke, sitting on the piano bench which held us both for you see she is tiny now. She has become smaller in height and weight. But her heart is still big because she has lost, loved, and gained much from her life. It amazes me that a heart as large as hers fits in a body so small and delicate. As we spoke she asked me about my life. She did not remember who I was--her grand daughter-- but she graciously inquired after my well being. I told her, "grandma, I am a senior now. I am not sure what I want to do after I graduate. It scares me to think about me being on my own soon," and she replied, " oh well that's easy, don't graduate. Keep going to school so you don't have to work." We laughed. I smiled and she smiled. I love her lines around her face when she smiles. Each line represents a worry, a moment of trial, and lots of happy times. She listened a little more about what plans I had and then we were told it was time for Sunday dinner. My father asked her to say the blessing on the food. She bowed her head. I bowed mine. She spoke and I listened. The grasp that restricts her mind and blocks events that happened just minutes prior was released for a brief but beautiful moment. She remembered my fear I had expressed to her earlier and began to address it in her prayer. "Our dear heavenly father" she began, "Help the young ones as they begin to make difficult choices that they must make in the near future. And as they do, they should go to thee in prayer. And they will find the answers that will help them". My heart stopped. My grandmother prayed for me and for all of us at the table. She remembered and with the kindness in her heart she gave us advice. Advice that will forever have a place in my heart. I felt waves of tears flood my eyes as I sat there, head down surrounded by loved ones. The moment was brief, but left a sweet and tender impression.
Her words ended and we began to eat. I sat there and felt gratitude in my heart. This is probably some of the last bit of advice I will receive from her. And I am grateful for the chance to hear this tender mercy, to be her grand daughter, and to know this woman of faith: Olea Mae Babbel Woolf
Her words ended and we began to eat. I sat there and felt gratitude in my heart. This is probably some of the last bit of advice I will receive from her. And I am grateful for the chance to hear this tender mercy, to be her grand daughter, and to know this woman of faith: Olea Mae Babbel Woolf
7 comments:
Caye, that's so beautiful! I teared up reading it. Grandma's the greatest and what a sweet blessing to have that special moment with her.
Thank you cailey for sending this to me personally. Not only are you a gifted writer but you've captured the essence of what a gift it's been for me to be her daughter and to have the privilege to call her mother.
My mom just told me about this posting of yours. I loved it Cailey. What a wonderful moment you got to share with Grandma...one that I'm sure will stay with you forever! It's sad to be so far away from so many family members that I love and care about. Thank you for writing about those moments so I can feel closer to you all!
What a sweet post. You can tell that she is very special.
Beautiful! I second you are a wonderful writer!
Cailey, my daughter forwarded this to me. Jay and I really enjoyed it. What a touching tribute. It teared me up as well. Thank you for such a beautiful post.
-Auntie Cheryl
Post a Comment