Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Random Post.

Running... lately I have been running, and running, and running. Sometimes I run twice a day just because. Even though I have a bad knee, sometimes shin splints, and dehydration because of the hot summer weather, I run. I actually love it. I think I am in love with it. Sound crazy? Yes, I know. But I just can't help myself. I think I get some of it from my Dad, Grandfather, and who knows where else. My Grandpa ran track and was the best all around. My dad ran for BYU and ran a marathon. He was the one who taught me how to run. Back when I was sixteen I was talking with my friend Randi Evans. She was on the cross country team in Highschool and we spoke often of her training. I started to love the idea of running. So I asked my Dad if we could go running and we started running mornings together. Down the back road by my house: Itchy Acres. What a name! ha. He would run behind me and then critique my running form. He trained my leg placement, breathing technique, even where to place my fingers--Index finger lightly on the thumbs-- and head up looking above the horizon. Then my friend Miriam and I began to run together. We would wake up early and run 6 miles or so around Folsom Lake. The days were HOT and we worked hard. 6 miles was the farthest I had ever run. I knew I wanted to keep running up. I got to college and met a boy named Brody Fish. We decided to go running before orientation one morning. He was like a gazelle. Seriously. I was discouraged after the run. He was fast, never tired, and had the energy of that pink battery bunny. So I made it a goal to run harder, faster, and eat better. My roommate Karli Low would run with me sometimes. Miriam would too. During the winter I would run in the indoor track or brave it outside where the cold air would freeze my lungs. I even slipped a bunch on the ice almost breaking my foot. But I wanted to prove that I could run. Tryouts for the Track team and cross country team for BYU were coming up. I wanted to try out. But fear got in the way and alas, I did not attempt to go. Which is better because I would have not had the experiences I got to have. Sophmore year I took a little time off from running and would run once a week. I missed it but other things were taking over my life. Then I moved into an apartment Spring 2009. I did not know my roommates, nor anyone there for that matter and so I ran. I ran everyday. I would run after class or run in the mornings. Sometimes both. I fell in love with it all over again. I started thinking of running a half marathon. This thought kept brewing in my mind and finally for my New year resolution I wrote it down. Now I have run two half marathons-- I have my 3rd in three weeks and even though my knee is bad, I run because I love it. I have great friends who I run with and we have had great conversations, giggle moments, random experiences, and good workouts. I think I love running most because of the memories I have while doing it. Perhaps I will get myself to run the Beijing Marathon summer 2012.

1 comment:

Karli said...

Hey! I am in this post! Cool. Where is the 3rd half marathon?