Today I saw someone.
I glanced at him. I'll admit it was at first been because he was more machine than man but I quickly changed that and then it was because he exuded endless emotion of nothing... I guess you could say he was in a state of thought provoking boredom.
Does that make sense?
Maybe not.
I stole glances at him secretly and discreetly. I guess I didn't have to since he was sitting right north of me at Gurus restaurant. It was a perfect view to this someone man.
A man with glasses. Overweight. In a machine powered chair. Lazily tapping his fingers.
Breathing tubes right and left coming from an unknown source.
He was unwillingly immovable. No smiles. He just sat.
An old man followed behind him into the restaurant. I presume it was his Father. They sat in silence. The man in the chair looked around at people. Mostly couples sitting together, laughing, talking, eating, just being. I'd bet he was watching the expression of love. I saw longing in the man's eyes. It was a blank longing.
Does that make sense?
I dont know.
More silence.
Not because Father and Son had nothing to say to each other.
I think it was because they were lost in their own thoughts of nothing.
Do you understand my thoughts?
Do I?
I didn't stare because his legs and lungs were disabled. I stared because his relunctance to smile.
He stared at people around him. He blinked. He breathed. He watched.
In this we are the same. I blink. I breathe. I watch.
But somehow in the many glances I stole, I felt his pain. In the middle of my dinner conversation I was able to watch him and feel his solemn grief. I could almost imagine what his whole life had been.
Not my place to invade on someone's personal life?
Probably not.
We all do it though. I know you are already thinking back when you glanced at someone and made presumptions.
My point is not really a point. It might not even be a thought. But a feeling.
I felt that he was lost in sorrow.
I felt that he was pining for a 'normal life'.
I wish I could tell him there is no such thing as normal life.
That we are all the same and all different.
We all feel sad. We all forget to smile.
We blink.
Breathe.
Watch.
1 comment:
hey caye, i love you!
AND i enjoyed reading this post and thinking about similar experiences
Post a Comment