Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Metaphorically speaking

Last night I could not sleep. Something was on my mind. As I laid in my comfy, warm, cozy bed I was thinking about expectations that all of us have for our lives. I started to wonder, as I often do, about why expectations are such a complete let down. Because of my wasteful wonderings I came up with this metaphor that made complete sense.
Metaphorically speaking:
Our hearts and brains work as intelligence and emotion bound up in an endless realm of possible expectations. When a new expectation (love, school, idea, dream) enters our life we have to start examining this new piece. Somehow you must figure out how you fit it into your heart (life). You consider this as a thought and emotion. You rearrange parts of your heart to create an opening for this new expectation. You have spent time now finding a way to fit this new opening in your life and heart and when you do, you expect it to be filled. However, when this expectation fails you now are left with an unavoidable void. You suddenly realize you have just spent time figuring out how to create room and now when you have the room there is nothing able to fill it anymore. So what can you do? You cannot close this void-- you can only proceed to fill it with something new. Something unrelated to what is was before. A new expectation... big enough to fill the void and keep it full. If you let it empty you are quickly reminded that the once expectation was denied a viable space. You fill the void daily until what you do to fill it becomes habit. For the rest of your life you are filling it with something new. Luckily our heart and mind work together to create a feeling of stability and you forget the void, with only occasional small glimpses of a realm of what could have been.

This is what I realized: I have many expectations and many voids, but life is good and in time things will work out for the best. As I finished my thought I was able to finally drift off to sleep...

1 comment:

Morgan Laree said...

Beautiful, beautiful! I love it. Thanks for sharing.